November’s “Taste of Carolina Cuisine,” a fundraiser for the Woman’s Club of Clayton, is adding a different taste this year – a specialty beer.
Thrilla in Vanilla Porter, served by new brewery Double Barley Brewling, will headline the event.
Taste of Carolina, slated for Friday, Nov. 1, will showcase the best food from 14 Clayton restaurants. It runs from 6:30 to 10 p.m. at The Clayton Center, 111 E. Second St. Tickets are $35; beer is $3.
Those attending will have a chance to sample menu items from the restaurants. Serving is 6:30-9 p.m. For tickets, call Marie Monsees at phone 919-553-5289.
The popular dining event traditionally draws a sellout crowd of 400. A silent auction of nearly 75 items also will take place from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
Participating restaurants, most in Clayton, are:
• Brick & Mortar Events, 217 E. Main St., 919-550-7400.
• Charlie’s BBQ & Grille, 8948 Cleveland Road, 919-934-0093.
• Clayton Bakery & Café, 8928 U.S. 70 Business, 919-550-5300.
• Coffee Mill, 105 S. Lombard St., 919-553-0125.
• Festejos Mexican Grill & Bar, 905 E. Main St., 919-359-2755.
• Imposimato – The Traveling Chef, 919-634-1946.
• LaPiazza, 7277 N.C. 42 West, 919-662-5007.
• McKinley’s Restaurant & Pub, 11751 U.S. 70 Business, 919-631-6256.
• Manning’s, 919-210-4045.
• Mark’s Catering, 919-995-8044.
• Morning Glory Inn, 507 E. Second St., 919-550-8547.
• Sherry’s Signature Cheesecakes, 120 E. Main St., 919-270-0513.
• Skylines, 8878 U.S. 70 Business, 919-850-8153.
• Two Chefs & A Truck, 919-278-0048.
The restaurants will compete for eight awards: Best Presentation, Best Original Dish, Best Seasonal Dish, Best Pasta Dish, Best Use of Local Ingredients, Best Dessert and two People’s Choice awards.
Judges from Wake Technical Community College’s culinary program will choose the six “Best” awards. Ticket holders will vote on the two People’s Choice awards.
Live music is on tap from 6:30 to 9 p.m., starting with harpist Anna Lee Crumpler and finishing with town favorite Bruce Naegelen of Clayton, singer and acoustical guitarist.
The silent auction will feature works by Clayton artists Janie Prete and Linda Strevig, jewelry from Main Street Jewelers, ticket packages from The Clayton Center, weekend stays at two beach condos and numerous other items.
Proceeds support club causes, including Artists in the Schools, Clayton Visual Arts, Christmas gifts for needy children, Backpack Buddies and scholarships.