The 2013 N.C. State Fair is holding 12 cooking competitions that put breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, appetizers and desserts in the spotlight.
Many of this year’s contests feature North Carolina products as the star ingredient, and one competition could gain its winners national attention. Cooks can go online and view the cooking contests section of the premium book at www.ncstatefair.org. Each individual competition will have contest dates, rules, judging criteria, prizes and mailing instructions. The deadline to submit a recipe for any of the cooking contests is Oct. 4.
Here’s a list of this year’s competitions:
• Thursday, Oct. 17 – N.C. Peanut Growers Association Peanut Dessert Contest. Enter desserts made with peanuts or peanut butter.
• Friday, Oct. 18 – House-Autry Mills’ Southern Fried Classic and Savory Sauces recipe contests. The Southern Fried Classic is for dishes that contain meat coated with a House-Autry Mills breader, and the Savory Sauces contest is a dish that uses one or more House-Autry Mills sauces.
• Saturday, Oct. 19 – N.C. Sweet Potato Commission’s Anything but Ordinary! Sweet Potato Recipe Contest. Enter any dish, except dessert, containing at least one and one-half cups of fresh sweet potatoes.
• Saturday, Oct. 19 – Great American Spam Championship. Enter your best Spam sandwich recipe. Contest open to children ages 7 to 17 and adults. First-place winners in adult and child competitions will have their recipe forwarded to the national competition.
• Sunday, Oct. 20 – Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Pie Baking Championship. Enter any dessert pie using a Pillsbury Pet-Ritz crust.
• Monday, Oct. 21 – N.C. Apple Growers Association Apple Recipe Contest. Enter any recipe containing at least two cups of North Carolina-grown apples.
• Tuesday, Oct. 22 – N.C. Egg Association’s The Incredible Edible Egg Frittata Recipe Contest. Each recipe must contain six eggs or one per serving.
• Wednesday, Oct. 23 – N.C. Pork Council’s Ham It Up! Tarheel Pork Challenge. Submit your best dish, snack, side, salad, appetizer or dessert that includes at least four ounces of ham per serving.
• Thursday, Oct. 24 – N.C. Pecan Association Pecan Recipe Competition. Each recipe must contain one cup of North Carolina-grown pecans.
• Friday, Oct. 25 – N.C. Beef Council’s It’s all about Hamburger Recipe Contest. Recipes must contain three ounces of hamburger per serving.
• Saturday, Oct. 26 – Karo Sweet-Treats for Sweet-Hearts Contest. Recipes must contain one-fourth cup of any type Karo syrup. Enter the sweet treat category or the bite-sized treat category.
• Sunday, Oct. 27 – King Arthur Flour Baking Contest. Featuring an adult coffee cake category and a youth (age 15 and under) bar cookie category. All entries must contain King Arthur Flour.
The 2013 N.C. State Fair will be held Oct. 17-27 at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. Go to www.ncstatefair.org for more information.