Art at the library
Airbrush artist William Chase is showing his art at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library this month. The library is at 100 S. Church St., Clayton. Some of the art is for sale. For information call Chase at 919-320-6130.
Alicia’s School of Performing Arts’ performing company and clogging team will perform at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, April 27 at Johnston Community College. Buy tickets at the college box office, 919-209-2099 or online at jccperformingarts.com.
In recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, a Zumba-thon will be held 10 a.m. -1 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at the Smithfield Recreation and Aquatics Center, 600 E. Booker Dairy Road, Smithfield. The cost is $5. Proceeds will benefit survivors of sexual assault in Johnston County. For more information, call Whitney Kelbaugh at 919-938-3566 or visit http://sraconline.com/.
Harbor, Inc. and Mt. Vernon Christian Church will host a candlelight vigil in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month 6:30 p.m. April 29 at Mt. Vernon Christian Church, 300 N. Lombard St., Clayton. The vigil honors survivors of sexual violence in Johnston County. For information, call 919-938-3566.
A luncheon to benefit veterans is scheduled 11a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, April 29 at Clayton Steakhouse, 307 E. Main St. Tickets are $10 and available at Medlin Office Supply, Edward Jones and Clayton Steakhouse, or call 919-553-4676. Proceeds will benefit Serve the Vet, a project of Serve the Need of Johnston County. For information, go to servetheneedinjc.com.
• The Clayton High School Alumni Association will host a meeting 5-7 p.m. Thursday, May 2 at Jones Lunch, 415 E. Main St., Clayton. For information, call Dennis Johnson at 919-803-1480. Classmates, former faculty members and friends are welcome to join them.
• The Clayton High School Alumni Association’s annual meeting is 7 p.m. Monday, May 6 in the Clayton High School media center, 600 S. Fayetteville St., Clayton. For information, call Dennis Johnson, at 919-803-1480.
Clayton Youth Theater will hold auditions for its production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” at 6 p.m. Friday, May 3 and 10 a.m. Saturday, May 4 at The Clayton Center, at 111 E. Second St., Clayton. Auditions are open to 7th-12th grade students. For more information, visit claytonyouththeater.com.
Granite Masonic Lodge 191 will hold a yard sale 6:30-10:30 a.m. Saturday, May 4 at 621 Boling St. Clayton. Proceeds support The Masonic Home for Children in Oxford and the lodge’s scholarship fund. For information call Scott Winslow, 919-333-6807.
Silent auction and Pinewood Derby
Christ Community United Methodist Church will hold a silent auction and Pinewood Derby 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday May 4 at 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. For more information, contact Chris Cipriani at firstname.lastname@example.org@aol.com.
Johnston Community College will offer a beginner archery class 1-5 p.m. Saturday, May 4 at The Rudolph Howell and Son Environmental Learning Center, 6601 Devil’s Racetrack Road, Four Oaks. Send registrations to Katrina McDougald at email@example.com@johnstoncc.edu. For more information, call 919-209-2563.
Johnston Community College has summer youth enrichment programs for third-12th grade students June 17-Aug. 16. Camps are held on the main campus in Smithfield as well as the Cleveland Center and the Johnston County Workforce Development Center. Call 919-464-2421 or visit johnstoncc.edu/summercamps. Space is limited.
Relay for Life fundraisers
• Cleo’s Closet will present a spring fashion show 2-4 p.m. Saturday, April 27 in the fellowship hall of Four Oaks United Methodist Church, 302 N. Church St., Four Oaks. For information, call 919-963-1277.
• Buy a “Boot for Cancer.” The 50/210 Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary is painting boots to represent the different types of cancers. The boots will be given to their buyers after the Relay for Life on June 1. The cost is $35. Also, the 50/210 Auxiliary is selling raffle tickets for a Relay for Life quilt. T-shirts are also on sale.
For more information about either fundraiser, call 919-894-4763 or visit 50210fire.com.
The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill of Johnston County conducts a free support group from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at 353 Second St., Clayton. For more information, call 919-601-3762.
The Small Business Center at Johnston Community College offers free seminars and counseling for small businesses. Contact Shelley Gardner at 919-209-2591 or firstname.lastname@example.org@johnstoncc.edu, or register at johnstoncc.edu/sbcregistration.
Tuesday morning coffee
Clayton business owners and managers gather at Sherry’s Signature Cheesecakes 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays at 120 E. Main St. to network. Tuesday tune-up offers information, and new topics each week. Visit downtownclayton.org/tuesday-tune-up for details.
• Clayton Visual Arts, Inc., meets at noon the first Tuesday of the month at the Clayton Center. Artists and non-artists are welcome.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.