• “Dining with the Arts,” a program that supports Clayton-area artists by displaying their work in local restaurants wants art work. The Clayton Visual Arts, Inc. will display submitted art at Clayton Steakhouse, 307 E. Main St., or Skylines Restaurant, 8878 U.S. 70 B. East. For details contact Emily Brown, chairman of Dining with the Arts, at email@example.com or 919-971-6800.
• The Community and Senior Services of Johnston County is having a Caregiver Retreat 10 a.m.-2 p.m., March 16. The free retreat is at the Johnston Community Church, 450 Janie Road., Selma. There’s entertainment, lunch, door prizes and helpful literature. For reservation, call 919-934-6066 by March 1 and ask for Chrystal.
• “Top Comic To Watch” Jarrod Harris will perform at the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium 7 p.m. March 1. Tickets are $5 in advance or $7 at the door. Call the box office at 919-209-2099 or visit johnstoncc.edu/performingarts. Johnston Community College students, faculty, and staff get in free of charge.
Black History Month
The Johnston County Heritage Center’s Black History Committee has collected a sampling of paintings and drawings by Johnston County African-American artists. The works of Perry Edward Bryant, Walter Day, Carson George, Robert L. Holt, Hubert McFadgen, John M. (Bobby) Mitchell, and Joe Stallings are on display in the Heritage Center’s first-floor exhibit hall in the former headquarters building of First Citizens Bank at the corner of Market and Third streets in Smithfield. The center hours are from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday. Call 919-934-2836 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hopes N Dreams’ annual bowling tournament is March 7 at Rainbow Lanes in Clayton. Registration begins at 6 p.m. Call Dale Bender at 919-934-4415 or Rose Walker at 919-207-1551. Proceeds support programs for intellectually challenged children and adults. Find information on Facebook @hopesndreamsincnc.
• Celeste Chavez, a senior at West Johnston High School, has to complete a senior project to graduate. Chavez is participating in the Angels Among Us 5k Walk and she hopes to raise $500 by April 20. Make donations at dccc.convio.net. Angels Among Us supports cancer research in the fight against brain cancer.
• The Spring Fling Craft Show is from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. March 16 at 40/42 Plaza, 5638 N.C. 42 W., Garner. Vendors needed. Email email@example.com.
• The Johnston County Democratic Party will hold its annual precinct meetings March 3-16. For locations, dates and times visit jcdp.org or call 919-550-4186.
• Clayton Visual Arts, Inc., meets at noon the first Tuesday of the month at the Clayton Center. Artists and non-artists are welcome. Clayton Visual Arts, Inc., focuses on bringing art to Clayton. For details visit claytonvisualartsnc.org.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Classes and workshops
• Johnston County Public Health Department offers information on immunizations, CPR and first aid, dental health, lead safety, car seat safety, and child development and discipline. Classes are 3- 5 p.m. March 5 and 12, June 4 and 11, Aug. 6 and 13, and Nov. 5 and 12. Registration is required. For information, call Tierra Taylor at 919-989-5200.