• “Top Comic To Watch” Jarrod Harris will perform at the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium 7 p.m. March 1. Tickets are $5 in advance or $7 at the door. Call the box office at 919-209-2099 or visit johnstoncc.edu/performingarts. Johnston Community College students, faculty, and staff get in free of charge.
• Johnston County Arts Council is seeking entries for a juried art show at the annual Arts Council Art and Food Festival March 1. Download the prospectus at jcartscouncil.org or call Darlene Williford at 919-938-0306 or Sandra O’Berry at 919-934-3487.
Black History Month
The Johnston County Heritage Center’s Black History Committee has collected a sampling of paintings and drawings by Johnston County African-American artists. The works of Perry Edward Bryant, Walter Day, Carson George, Robert L. Holt, Hubert McFadgen, John M. (Bobby) Mitchell, and Joe Stallings are on display in the Heritage Center’s first-floor exhibit hall in the former headquarters building of First Citizens Bank at the corner of Market and Third streets in Smithfield. The center hours are from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday. Call 919-934-2836 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clayton High School Band Ensembles are having a fundraising at Zaxby’s of Clayton, Feb. 25, 5-8 p.m. Patrons have a chance to win 52 weeks of “free” Zaxby’s food. You don’t have to be present to win but you have to be present to play.”
• Celeste Chavez, a senior at West Johnston High School, has to complete a senior project to graduate. Chavez is participating in the Angels Among Us 5k Walk to raise money for this organization. She hopes to raise $500 by April 20 and needs the community’s help. To make donations go to dccc.convio.net. Angels Among Us uses money raised for cancer research in the fight against brain cancer.
• The Spring Fling Craft Show is from 9 a.m.-3p.m. March 16 at 40/42 Plaza, 5638 N.C. 42 W., Garner. Vendors needed. Email email@example.com.
Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Classes and workshops
• Johnston County Schools System is having a conference for parents of middle and high school students with special needs, 6-8:30 Feb. 25 at Smithfield-Selma High School. For information, including a list of topics visit johnston.k12.nc.us, contact Laura Caldarera, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 919-934-5191 ext. 1174, or Pam Biggs at email@example.com, or 919-934-4361 ext. 399.
• Johnston County Public Health Department offers information on immunizations, CPR and first aid, dental health, lead safety, car seat safety, and child development and discipline. Classes are 3- 5 p.m. March 5 and 12, June 4 and 11, Aug. 6 and 13, and Nov. 5 and 12.
Registration is required. For information, call Tierra Taylor at 919-989-5200.