• As part of the Clayton Piano Festival, New York pianists Matthew Harrison and Vlada Yaneva will perform at the Wagner House. The event also includes a surf and turf dinner buffet, 5:30 p.m. Feb. 14 at the Wagner House, 121 E. Main St. Clayton. Tickets are $70 per couple. Contact Kelly Norman, 919-271-6398 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The second annual Clayton Piano Festival, a series of concerts by pianists from across the country, is now through Feb. 15 at the Clayton Center Performing Arts Auditorium and the Wagner House in downtown Clayton. Find information on costs and concert locations at claytonpianofestival.org or call 919-606-9703.
• Johnston County Arts Council is seeking entries for a juried art show at the annual Arts Council Art and Food Festival March 1. Download the prospectus at jcartscouncil.org or call Darlene Williford at 919-938-0306 or Sandra O’Berry at 919-934-3487.
• The 2013 Miss Johnston County and Johnston County’s Outstanding Teen Pageants is 7 p.m. Feb. 16 at the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium at Johnston Community College. Tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door. Purchase tickets at johnstoncc.edu/performingarts or call 919-209-2099.
• Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield, hosts open mic night from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Call 919-938-1511 for details.
Black History Month events
Johnston Community College has planned several events in February in celebration of black history. Events are free and open to the public. Featured events include the annual black history quiz bowl, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Feb. 14; a Black Business/Health Expo, 10 a.m.- p.m., Feb. 20 and a Gospel Festival 4- 6 p.m., Feb. 24.
For details, contact Della McMillian at 919- 464-2282 or Doris Edwards at 919-209-2539.
The artwork of Thurmond Goins, a JCC graduate and current art student at North Carolina Central University, is featured in the Frank Creech Art Gallery until Feb. 28.
• Local artists will sell handmade gifts from 4-7 p.m. Feb. 14 at Clayton’s Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St. The event features a gift basket raffle along with music and refreshments. Business owners can set up booths. Call 919-359-9366.
• The Knights of Columbus Council at St. Ann Church in Clayton is having a fish fry 4-7 p.m. Feb.15. Plates are $8 or two for a $15 donation. The address is 4057 U.S. 70 Business W. Call 919-934-2084.
• Corinth Holders High School’s Choral performs in a dinner theater and a stage production called “A Night On Broadway,” Feb. 22. Patrons can enjoy an Italian dinner at 6 p.m. and the show follows at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 tickets. Call 919-365-4306 ext. 508 or e-mail email@example.com.
• The Spring Fling Craft Show is from 9 a.m.-3p.m. March 16 at 40/42 Plaza, 5638 N.C. 42 W., Garner. Various vendors are selling items to raise money to help a Clayton family with medical bills. Vendors needed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Johnston County Democratic Women will meet at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 21 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield. Contact Gail Chandler at 919-553-1619 or email@example.com.
• Johnston County Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 21 at Golden Corral, 100 Towne Centre Place, Smithfield. Contact Joy Paul 919-255-0990 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Classes and workshops
• The Johnston County Association of Realtors is hosting a Home Ownership Expo 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Feb. 23 at Johnston Community College in the Paul A Johnson Auditorium. This event is free to the public. For information call 919-989-9797 or email email@example.com.
• Johnston County Public Health Department offers information on immunizations, CPR and first aid, dental health, lead safety, car seat safety, and child development and discipline. Classes are 3- 5 p.m. March 5 and 12, June 4 and 11, Aug. 6 and 13, and Nov. 5 and 12.
Registration is required. For information, call Tierra Taylor at 919-989-5200.
• The North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service is offering free Pesticide Recertification/Safety classes for private applicators whose licenses expire this year. Classes are 3:30-5:30 p.m. Feb. 11 and 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Johnston County Agricultural Center in Smithfield on N.C. 210. Call Tim Britton at 919-989-5380 to register or for more information.
• Tim Britton of the Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service offers local landowners free assistance with beavers, including property inspection and consultation. Call 919-989-5380 or email Tim_Britton@ncsu.edu.
• Garner Woman’s Club is hosting a Smart Spending workshop, 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 16 at 230 U.S. Highway 70 W., Garner. The workshop cost $15. For information, visit smartspendingresources.com. Call Gloria Parrish at 919-412-5372, or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Johnston Community College Arboretum offers community classes and workshops on gardening, self-sufficiency and environmental issues. The workshop cost $15. Visit johnstoncc.edu/arboretum or call 919-209-2052.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at its Kenly Center, 408 S. College Ave., Kenly and the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive, Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com or visit johnstoncc.edu.
• The school also offers continuing education courses and job-skills classes. Fees are waived for the unemployed, underemployed or people who have received notice of pending layoff. Contact Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595 for continuing education details, or to register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg. Contact Danielle Hussey, 919-209-2042, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has free walk-in flu vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 517 N. Brightleaf Blvd., Smithfield. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Free HIV tests are available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays at the Johnston County Public Health Department, 517 N. Bright Leaf Blvd., Smithfield. Call Pam Daughtry, 919-989-5200.