• The “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?” at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, has been canceled.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10225, 1706 W. Garner Road will have its monthly steak dinner, 6-8 p.m. Feb. 8. Dinner costs $13. Call 919-772-1062 for details.
• Johnston County Arts Council wants artist for an Upcoming Juried Art Show in conjunction with the annual Johnston County Arts Council Art and Food Festival March 1. Download the prospectus at jcartscouncil.org. Call Darlene Williford at 919-938-0306 or Sandra O’Berry at 919-934-3487 for details.
• Taylor Leopold will perform pop folk music 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. Feb. 8 at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. is Open Mic Night at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is holding its annual Steakhouse fundraiser Feb. 4 at the Clayton Steakhouse, 307 E. Main St. in downtown Clayton. Tickets are $12 each for two seatings, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. For tickets, call 919-202-0002 or stop by the Partnership for Children Selma office, 1406-A S. Pollock St., Selma.
• ‘Shop for a Cause” is a vendor event for the Easter Seals 4-7 p.m. Feb. 11 at Monty Hall in Clayton.
• This Valentine’s Day 4-7 p.m. Feb. 14 spend the evening at Clayton’s Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St. Local artist are selling handmade gifts, there’s a Chinese raffle for a gift basket along with music and refreshments. Business owners can set up booths. Call 919-359-9366.
Cooper Elementary Run for the Rockets 5k race and walk is March 2, at 849 N. Mial St., Clayton. Early registration ends Feb. 6. Register online at www.active.com or registration the day of race with cash or check. Contact Alison Wilson at 919-320-4207 or Heather Moser at 919-333-2682 for entry forms.
• There is a small grain and grain sorghum growers production meeting at noon, Jan. 31 at the Johnston County Agricultural Center. Call 919-989-5380.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• The Johnston County Scrabble Club meets from 6-8 p.m. Mondays at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Classes and workshops
• Garner Woman’s Club is hosting a Smart Spending workshop 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 16 at 230 U.S. Highway 70 W., Garner. For information, visit smartspendingresources.com. Call Gloria Parrish at 919-412-5372, or email@example.com to register.
• Johnston Community College Arboretum offers community classes and workshops with a focus on gardening, self-sufficiency and environmental issues. Visit johnstoncc.edu/arboretum or call 919-209-2052.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the JCC’s Kenly Center, 408 S. College Ave., Kenly and the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive, Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit johnstoncc.edu.
• The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg. The college also offers job-skills classes. Fees are waived for the unemployed, underemployed or people who have received notice of pending layoff. Contact Danielle Hussey, 919-209-2042, or email@example.com.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Free HIV tests are available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Johnston County Public Health Department, 517 N. Bright Leaf Blvd., Smithfield. Call Pam Daughtry, 919-989-5200.
• A mental health support group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at 353 Second St., Hocutt’s Education Building B, Clayton. Call 919-601-3762.
• Family members and friends of individuals suffering from mental illness can attend a National Alliance on Mental Illness presentation 6:30-8 p.m. Feb. 7 at 353 Second St., Clayton. Call 919-601-3762 for additional info.
• The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
• Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.