• Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. is Open Mic Night at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• A weekly contest titled “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?” will be held from 7:15-8 p.m. Thursdays through March 21, at Melody’s Coffeehouse-Booksellers, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield. The weekly academic contest is for all ages. Call 919-938-1511 for information.
The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is holding its annual Clayton Steakhouse fundraiser Feb. 4 at the Clayton Steakhouse, 307 E. Main St. in downtown Clayton. Tickets are $12 each for two seatings, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. For tickets, call 919-202-0002 or stop by the Partnership for Children Selma office, 1406-A S. Pollock St., Selma.
• There is a small grain and grain sorghum growers production meeting at noon, Jan. 31 at the Johnston County Agricultural Center. Call 919-989-5380.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• The Johnston County Scrabble Club meets from 6-8 p.m. Mondays at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
• Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action, Inc., is conducting free financial literacy workshops Jan. 23 and 24. The 3 p.m. Jan. 23 workshop is titled “Pay yourself first.” The last workshop at 10 a.m. Jan.24 is titled “Income tax tips.” All workshops are at 1102 Massey, Smithfield. Call Tina Ray at 919-934-2145 for details.
• There is a fruit tree training and pruning demonstration 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Jan.26 at The Central Crops Research Station, 13223 U.S. 70 Business, Clayton. For information and to register, call 919-989-5380, email email@example.com, or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• The N.C. Cooperative Extension Service is accepting applications for Extension Master Gardener volunteers. If accepted, volunteers will receive training Thursdays, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Jan. 24-April 25. Cost for training is $100. Call 919-989-5380.
• Johnston Community College Arboretum offers community classes and workshops with a focus on gardening, self-sufficiency and environmental issues. Visit johnstoncc.edu/arboretum or call 919-209-2052.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit johnstoncc.edu.
• The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg. The college also offers job-skills classes. Fees are waived for the unemployed, underemployed or people who have received notice of pending layoff. Contact Danielle Hussey, 919-209-2042, or email@example.com.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Free HIV tests are available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Johnston County Public Health Department, 517 N. Bright Leaf Blvd., Smithfield. Call Pam Daughtry, 919-989-5200.
• A mental health support group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at 353 Second St., Hocutt’s Education Building B, Clayton. Call 919-601-3762.
• The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
• Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.