Citizen of the Year
The Clayton Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for the Citizen of the Year and the Small Business of the Year. Nomination forms are at claytonchamber.com or the chamber office, 301 E. Main St. Call Jim Godfrey at 919-553-6352. The award winners will be announced at the chamber’s annual meeting Jan. 22.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• The Johnston County Scrabble Club meets from 6-8 p.m. Mondays at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. For more information, call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
The Clayton High School Performing Arts Booster Club is holding a flapjack fundraiser breakfast 8-10 a.m. Jan. 5 at Applebee’s, 5158 N.C. Highway 42 W., Garner. Tickets are $7 per plate and proceeds help CHS chorus and drama students. For tickets, call 919-760-7197, or buy at the door. Find information at claytonhighschoolperformingartsboosterclub.com.
• Johnston Community College is offering a variety of continuing education courses beginning in January. To pre-register, call Vic McCormick, director of continuing education, at 919-209-2595. Space is limited. For a detailed list of classes visit johnstoncc.edu.
• Johnston Community College Arboretum offers community classes and workshops with a focus on gardening, self-sufficiency and environmental issues. Visit johnstoncc.edu/arboretum or call 919-209-2052.
• Johnston Community College also offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com or visit johnstoncc.edu.
The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg. The college also offers job-skills classes. Fees are waived for the unemployed, underemployed or people who have received notice of pending layoff. Contact Danielle Hussey, 919-209-2042 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Date-Night Movie Night at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St., Clayton, is 7 p.m. Dec. 27. The evening features a screening of “The Shop Around the Corner.”
• Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. is Open Mic Nite at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• The N.C. Martin Luther King Heritage Tours are organizing buses to Washington for President Barack Obama’s inauguration ceremony. The trip is scheduled for Jan. 19-21. Chartered buses will leave from Raleigh, Durham, Rocky Mount, Greensboro, Charlotte and Wilmington. Other departure locations may be added. Find information at king-raleigh.org, email email@example.com or call 919-834-6264.
“American Idol” winner Kris Allen will perform at The Clayton Center Jan. 18. Tickets are $30 for reserved seating. A limited number of VIP tickets are $75. Buy tickets for the 8 p.m. performance at theclaytoncenter.com or call 919-553-1737.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Free HIV tests are available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Johnston County Public Health Department, 517 N. Bright Leaf Blvd., Smithfield. Call Pam Daughtry, 919-989-5200.
• A mental health support group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at 353 Second St., Hocutt’s Education Building B, Clayton. Call 919-601-3762.
• The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
• Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.