• Celebrate “A Riverwood Christmas” Dec.7 in downtown Riverwood Athletic Club. Festivities are 3-7:30 p.m. Bring canned food donations and help Clayton Area Ministries. Visit ariverwoodchristmas.com.
• The Christmas season in Clayton begins with a holiday art and home tour Dec. 9. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in advance from Clayton Visual Arts, 919-550-8934, or from any Clayton Visual Arts member.
• Johnston Community College’s Country Music Showcase will present a Carolina Christmas at 7 p.m. Dec. 6-7, 2 p.m. Dec. 8 and 3 p.m. Dec. 9 in the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on the Smithfield campus. Tickets are $15 in advance or $17.50 at the door.
• The Johnston County Chorale will present its Christmas Holiday Festival at 7 p.m. Dec. 15 in the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on the main campus of Johnston Community College in Smithfield. Tickets are $14.50 in advance or $15 at the door. Call 919-209-2099 or visit johnstoncc.edu/performingarts/tickets.
• Santa’s Workshop by Premier Athletics is scheduled form 3-5 p.m. Dec. 15 at 108 Lee Court, Clayton. Call 919-359-8326.
Citizen of the Year
The Clayton Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for the 2012 Citizen of the Year and the Small Business of the Year. Nomination forms are at claytonchamber.com or the chamber office, 301 E. Main St. Call Jim Godfrey at 919-553-6352. The award winners will be announced at the chamber’s annual meeting Jan. 22.
• Johnston County alumni of N.C. Central University will meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 at Johnston Piney Grove Baptist Church, 1691 Barber Mill Road, Clayton. Contact Margaret Barbee, 919-585-2934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• The Johnston County Scrabble Club meets from 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Bookstore, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Come to the Grinch “Stink and Stank” 5k run and one-mile “Jingle Bell” jog at 10 a.m. Dec. 8 at Smithfield Community Park. Call Tim Johnson at 919-934-1408. This event benefits Harbor and the Johnston County Department of Social Services Angel Tree.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com, or visit johnstoncc.edu/sbcseminars.
The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg.
The college also offers job-skills classes, with the fee waived for the unemployed, underemployed and people who have received notice of pending layoff. Contact Danielle Hussey, 919-209-2042 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Child Development Center at Johnston Community College will hold an open house from 3-6 p.m. Dec. 6 to celebrate the opening of its 2-year-old classroom. The JCC Child Development Center is an accredited center serving children ages 2 to 5 years old.
The new 2-year-old classroom is scheduled to open Jan. 7. Contact Amy Smith 919-209-2010.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation Department’s after-school program for grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m.
For a complete Clayton Parks and Recreation Department schedule, call Wanda Tetterton, 919-553-1550 or visit www.townofclaytonnc.org/residents/Recreation.
• Keep Johnston County Beautiful Inc. will stage its annual Festival of Trees through Dec. 5 at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Call Susan Woodard, 919-934-7156, Ext. 3.
• Date-Night Movie Night at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St., Clayton, is 7 p.m. Bring your date to free screening of “The Shop Around the Corner” on Dec. 27.
• Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. is Open Mic Nite at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield. At 5 p.m. Thursdays, singer-songwriter D.C. Collins gives a free performance.
• FUEL JoCo will hold its next networking event Thursday, Dec. 6, at McCall’s, 10365 U.S. 70 Business, Clayton. Bring an unwrapped toy. FUEL is short for Foster and Unifying Emerging Leaders.