Citizen of the Year
The Clayton Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for the 2012 Citizen of the Year and the Small Business of the Year awards until Nov. 30. Nomination forms are at claytonchamber.com or the chamber office, 301 E. Main St. Call Jim Godfrey at 919-553-6352. The award winners will be announced at the chamber’s annual meeting Jan. 22.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month until May at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• The Johnston County Scrabble Club meets every Monday 6-8 p.m. at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield.
• The Clayton Area Toastmasters meet Thursdays 6-7 p.m. at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
• American Legion Riders Post 232 of Garner is having a barbecue to raise funds for veteran charities 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Nov. 30. Plates are $7 for eat in or take out at 10225, 1706 W. Garner Road, Garner. Call 919-291-2129.
• A Zumba Fitness Toy Drive is set for 1-3 p.m. Dec. 1 at Riverwood Middle School in Clayton. Bring a new unwrapped gift or gift card for a child or family in need. Call Erica McFarland, 919-631-4539.
• Come to the Grinch “stink and stank” toy 5k run and 1 mile “Jingle Bell” jog 10 a.m. Dec. 8 at Smithfield Community Park, Rotary shelter.
Call Tim Johnson at the SRAC, 919-934-1408. This event benefits Harbor and the Johnston County Department of Social Services Angel Tree.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com, or visit johnstoncc.edu/sbcseminars.
The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation After-School program for grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m.
For a complete Clayton Parks and Recreation Department schedule, call Wanda Tetterton, 919-553-1550, or visit www.townofclaytonnc.org/residents/Recreation.
• The Archer Lodge Christmas Celebration begins with a parade at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 25.
• The annual Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony at Flowers Plantation is 1-6 p.m. Dec. 1. Call 919-553-1984.
• The Christmas season in Clayton, begins with a holiday art and home tour Dec. 9. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in advance from Clayton Visual Arts, 919-550-8934 or from any Clayton Visual Arts member.
• The Johnston County Chorale Christmas Holiday Festival is 7 p.m. Dec. 15 at the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on the main campus of Johnston Community College in Smithfield. Tickets are $14.50 in advance or $15 at the door. Call 919-209-2099 or visit johnstoncc.edu/performingarts/tickets.
• Santa’s Workshop by Premier Athletics opens 3-5 p.m. Dec. 15 at 108 Lee Court, Clayton. Call 919-359-8326.
• Date-Night Movie Nights at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St., Clayton, are at 7 p.m. Bring your date to free screenings of “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” Nov. 29 and “The Shop Around the Corner” Dec. 27.
• Keep Johnston County Beautiful Inc. will stage its annual Festival of Trees Nov. 29-Dec. 5 at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Call Susan Woodard, 919-934-7156, ext. 3.
• Johnston Health is holding open house at the Festival of Trees 5-7 p.m. Nov. 29 at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. All 12 businesses, outpatient and wellness services within the mall will offer tours and/or a meet-and-greet with specialists. Call 919-938-7186.
• The Greater Smithfield-Selma Chamber of Commerce’s Chamber Women’s Business Network will host Transitions: An Awakening to Greater Heights 11 a.m-1 p.m. Nov. 29 at Hinnant Family Vineyards. To register, call 919-934-9166 or visit secure2.chambermaster.com/directory.
• The High Riders 4-H club is hosting a free day of pony rides, crafts and snacks from noon-4 p.m. Dec. 1 at 12490 Buffalo Road, Clayton. Guests can learn about horses and the 4-H. Call 919-523-2287.
• Tuesdays 6:30-8:30 p.m. is Open Mic Nite at Melody’s Coffee Shop and Book Store, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield. Wednesdays 10 a.m.-noon “Painting at Melody’s” hosted by local artist Jane Kate Brown.
• Clayton Youth Theater is holding auditions for Thornton Wilder’s “The Matchmaker” 6 p.m. Dec. 6 and 10 a.m. Dec. 8 at The Clayton Center. Students must be in the 7th-12th grades. Find audition information at claytonyouththeater.com.
• American Idol winner Kris Allen will perform at The Clayton Center Jan. 18.
Tickets are $30 for reserved seating. A limited number of VIP tickets are $75. Buy tickets for the 8 p.m. performance at theclaytoncenter.com or call 919-553-1737.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu-vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
A mental health support group meets 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at 353 Second St, Hocutt’s Education Building B, Clayton. Call 919-601-3762.
• The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.