Citizen of the Year
The Clayton Chamber of Commerce is now accepting nominations for 2012 Citizen of the Year and the Small Business of the Year awards. Nov. 30 is the submission deadline. Nomination forms are at claytonchamber.com or the chamber office, 301 E. Main St. Call Jim Godfrey at 919-553-6352. The award winners will be announced at the chamber’s annual meeting Jan. 22.
• The 2 p.m. Nov. 15 and Dec. 11 Johnston County Board of Education meetings, normally held in the Simpson Building, will be in the A.G. Glenn Building.
• The Democratic Women of Johnston County will meet at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 15 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield. Call 919-550-4186.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month until May at the Woman’s Club on Church Street in Clayton.
• Every Monday night 6-8 p.m. the Johnston County Scrabble Club meets at Melody’s.
• The Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
• There is a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for Bryce Whitley 4-7 p.m. Nov. 10 at the Corbett Hatcher Community Building, 5438 N.C. 39 N., Selma. The event includes live music and a silent auction. Bryce, who is 10, is a Student Ambassador with People to People.
• The Downtown Smithfield Development Corporation will host a wine tasting walk 5:30-7:30 p.m. Nov. 16. Proceeds support Harbor, Inc., programs. Walkers will visit participating businesses and sample regional, national and international wines at each location. Tickets are $20. Call 919-934-0887 or visit downtownsmithfield.com/events.
• HealthQuest Wellness Center is hosting a HealthQuest Gobble Waddle food drive and fundraiser 5K/10K Run and Walk. The run begins at 9 a.m. Nov. 17 on the corner of Second and Church streets in Smithfield. Register at active.com.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit johnstoncc.edu/sbcseminars. The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick at 919-209-2595. Register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation After-School program for grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m. For a complete Clayton Parks and Recreation Department schedule, call Wanda Tetterton, 919-553-1550, or visit www.townofclaytonnc.org/residents/Recreation.
The annual Archer Lodge Christmas Celebration begins with a parade at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 25. To be part of the parade, submit registration forms to the ALFD Ladies Auxiliary by Nov. 10. Find forms at www.archerlodge.org or the Archer Lodge Fire Department.
• Little River Historical Society members will get together for breakfast at 8 a.m. Nov. 13 at Ricky Chamblee’s cabin, 9677 Applewhite Road, Wendell.
• The Johnston County office of the N.C. Cooperative Extension is having their annual fruit and nut tree sale. Call 919-989-5380 or email johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Date-Night Movie-Nights at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, 100 S. Church St., Clayton, are at 7 p.m. Bring your date to free screenings of “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” on Nov. 29 and “The Shop Around the Corner” on Dec. 27.
• Keep Johnston County Beautiful Inc. will stage its annual Festival of Trees Nov. 29-Dec. 5 at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Call Susan Woodard, 934-7156, ext. 3.
• The Clayton Christmas parade is 3 p.m. Dec. 8. The Clayton Chamber of Commerce needs parade sponsors. Call 919-553-6352.
• Country Crooner Collin Raye will perform an acoustical concert at 3 p.m. Nov. 18 in the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on the main campus of Johnston Community College in Smithfield. Tickets are $22.50 and available at the JCC Box Office, 919-209-2099 or johnstoncc.edu/performingarts.
• The Alfred Hitchcock thriller “Killer Spoof’ The 39 Steps” comes to The Clayton Center stage, 111 E. Second St. at 8 p.m. Nov. 17. Buy the $30 tickets for the 8 p.m. show at theclaytoncenter.com or by calling 919-553-1737.
• American Idol winner Kris Allen will perform at The Clayton Center Jan. 18. Tickets are $30 for reserved seating. A limited number of VIP tickets are $75. Buy tickets for the 8 p.m. performance at theclaytoncenter.com or call 919-553-1737.
Call for artists
• The Eye of the Eagle Art in downtown Clayton is seeking artists, fine craftsman and vendors for the First Street Station Christmas Market. The market opens 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 24 and Dec. 15. For applications Contact the Eye of the Eagle Art Center at 131 E. First St. Clayton. Call 919-585-2461, email email@example.com or go to eyeoftheeagleart.com. Submission are due by Nov. 18
• Johnston Community College wants entries for the Howell Woodstock photography contest. Photos must depict plant life, animal life or landscapes. Winners will be announced Nov. 10 at the Howell Woods Environmental Learning Center. For contest rules and entry forms, call 919-209-2173 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu-vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• The Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.
The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is accepting applications for pre-kindergarten. Call 919-202-0002 or visit pfcjc.org.