• The Johnston County Voluntary Agricultural District Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Johnston County Agricultural Center, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield.
• The town of Clayton has several meetings in October, including a special town council work session at 5:30 p.m. Monday. The council will hear a noise demonstration. The Board of Adjustment meeting is at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The Planning Board meets at 6 p.m. Oct. 22.
• The Democratic Women of Johnston County will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield. For questions or directions, call the party headquarters at 919-550-4186.
• A Party in Pink Zumbathon is scheduled from 2-4:30 p.m. Saturday in the Riverwood Middle School gymnasium. Tickets are $5. Contact Karrin Quinn at email@example.com. Proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen for the Cure charity.
• Serve the Need in Johnston County will hold a fundraising lunch from 11a.m.-2 p.m.. Oct. 22 at the Clayton Steak House. The $10 tickets are available at Medlin Office Supply, Edward Jones and the Clayton Steak House. All the proceeds go the Serve the Vet Project. For information visit www.servetheneedinjc.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through Oct. 27, the Clayton Farm & Community Market is open from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays on the Town Square at Main and O’Neill streets.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com or visit johnstoncc.edu/sbcseminars.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation After-School program for kids in grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m. Call Wanda Tetterton at 919-553-1550 for information. • The Johnston County Health Department will offer a parenting class Wednesday to Johnston County residents with children from birth to age 5. To register, call Tierra Taylor, 919-989-5200.
• The Clayton High School Performing Arts Students will present Blue Carpet Night-A Performance Benefit at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Clayton High auditorium, 600 S. Fayetteville St. Tickets are $6.
• Zaxby’s next Movie Night is Saturday. The fun begins at 5:30 p.m. on the Town Square in downtown Clayton. Zaxby’s will show “Monsters Inc.” at 7 p.m. and “Ghostbusters” at 9 p.m.
• The Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center at 135 Bestwood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
Call for artists
• Clayton Visual Arts Inc., needs artists to feature in the 2013 monthly exhibits at The Clayton Center. Artists should mail their resume, a portfolio of four to six images and the $10 application fee to Clayton Visual Arts, Exhibits Committee, P.O. Box 698, Clayton, NC 27528; email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or complete the online entry form at claytonvisualartsnc.org/artist-invitation. The deadline is 5 p.m. Oct. 31.
• Johnston Community College wants entries for the Howell Woodstock photography contest. Photos must depict plant life, animal life or landscapes. Winners will be announced Nov. 10 at the Howell Woods Environmental Learning Center. For contest rules and entry forms, call 919-209-2173 or email email@example.com.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in flu-vaccine clinics for adults from 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• Johnston Health’s annual prostate screening is 1-5 p.m. Wednesday in the Mohamed & Lippitt Urology Center. For appointments, call 888-977-3319. A women’s health event is scheduled from 5:30-8 p.m. Thursday at Johnston Medical Center-Clayton and the Johnston Professional Plaza. For details go to johnstonhealth.org.
• Johnston Health’s Fall Festival is scheduled from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Vendors will sell crafts, jewelry and baked goods.
• Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.
The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is accepting applications for pre-kindergarten. Call 919-202-0002 or visit pfcjc.org.