• The Richardson Place Homeowners Association, Inc. annual meeting is 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 13 at The Clayton Center.
• The Johnston County Voluntary Agricultural district board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 15 at the Johnston County Agricultural Center at 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield.
• For the next three months, Johnston County Board of Education meetings normally held in the Simpson Building will be in the A.G. Glenn Building. The board meetings are set for 2 p.m. Oct. 9, Nov. 15 and Dec. 11.
• The Democratic Women of Johnston County will meet at 6:30 p.m., Oct. 16 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield. For questions or directions, call the headquarters office, 919-550-4186.
• The Newcomers and Neighbors Club meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of each month at the Woman’s Club on Church Street, September-May.
• The Clayton High School powderpuff football game is 7 p.m. Oct. 10 at the high school. Admission is $5 for 11 and older, $2 for children. Proceeds are for senior scholarships, matching funds grants and teacher appreciation week.
• The Knightdale Kiwanis Club is selling barbecue plates Oct. 12 starting at 10 a.m. at Knightdale Family Medicine, 6905 Knightdale Blvd. Proceeds support local Kiwanis service projects.
• The Sue Daniels Memorial Run/Walk for Backpack Buddies begins at 9 a.m. Oct. 13 at Wilson’s Mills Town Hall, 101 Railroad St. Register online at www.runtheeast.com.
• The Rotary clubs of Clayton will hold their annual wine-tasting fundraiser at 7 p.m. Oct. 13 at The Clayton Center, 111 E. Second St. Proceeds support the clubs’ scholarship funds.
• The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is holding its annual Outback Steakhouse fundraiser Oct.10 at the Smithfield Outback Steakhouse. Two seating’s are available, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. for $10. For tickets, call 919-202-0002 or come to the Partnership for Children Selma office, 1406-A S. Pollock St.
• Harbor’s fundraiser, Walk the Trail in Her Shoes, is Oct. 13 at the walking trail on the Johnston Health Smithfield campus. Registration is 11 a.m., and the walk begins at 11:30 a.m. Local businessmen, male community leaders and young adults are expected to wear women’s shoes and participate in this year’s walk. Go to www.harborshelter.org for more information. To register, donate or sponsor, call 919-938-3566.
• A Party in Pink Zumbathon event is scheduled for 2-4:30 p.m. Oct. 20 in the Riverwood Middle School gymnasium. Tickets are $5. Contact Karrin Quinn at email@example.com. Proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen for the Cure charity.
• The Johnston Health Champions 5K Walk/Run begins at 8 a.m. Oct. 27 in front of Johnston Medical Center in Smithfield. Children 12 and under can walk with a parent or guardian for free. Entry fees are $25 for the run or $20 for the walk. Proceeds support a capital campaign to expand and renovate the hospital’s emergency department. Registration forms are at the HealthQuest Wellness Center or at www.johnstonhealth.org.
• The Woman’s Club of Clayton is holding their annual Taste of Carolina Cuisine fundraiser 6:30 p.m. Nov. 2 at The Clayton Center. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased from any club member or by calling Marie Monsees, 919-553-5289.
The Clayton Farm & Community Market is open 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays on the Town Square at Main and O’Neill streets until Oct. 27.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Bestwood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit johnstoncc.edu/sbcseminars. The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick 919-209-2595. Students can also find information and register online at www.johnstoncc.edu/curriculumreg.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation After-School program for kids in grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m. Call Wanda Tetterton at 919-553-1550 for information. For a complete list of Clayton Parks and Recreation Department events, activities and classes, call Wanda Tetterton, 919-553-1550 of visit www.townofclaytonnc.org/residents/Recreation.
• Johnston County Health Department is offering a parenting class on Oct. 17 to Johnston County residents with children from birth to five-years-old. To register, call Tierra Taylor, 919-989-5200.
• Darkside Haunted Estates’ haunted adventure is open from 7-10 p.m. every Friday and Saturday in October and Halloween, Oct. 31. The house is also open Nov. 2 and 3 at 11875 N.C. 222 W., Middlesex. For details go to www.darksidehauntedestates.com.
• Johnston Community College is holding open auditions for the 2013 season of CMS “Where Stars Get Their Start” Oct. 9 in the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on the main campus in Smithfield. Pre-registration is required. Pick up forms in the auditorium lobby, or call the JCC Box Office, 919-209-2099, or visit johnstoncc.edu/performingarts.
• “Painting at Melody’s” is 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 10.Meet local artist Gerelene “Expressions At Large” during her reception 6-7:30 p.m. Oct.1. Both events are at Melody’s Coffeehouse-Booksellers, 117 N. Third St., Smithfield, 919-938-1511.
• The Clayton High School class of 1987 will hold a reunion from 6-10 p.m. Oct. 13 at Venero’s Italian Restaurant. Cost is $35 per person, check payable to Clayton High Class of 87 Reunion. Mail to CHS Class of 87 Reunion, 5842 N.C. 42 W., Garner, N.C. 27529. Contact email@example.com.
• The Clayton Area Toastmasters meet from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Workforce Development Center at 135 Bestwood Drive. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
• Keep Johnston County Beautiful, Inc. is planning its annual Festival of Trees Nov. 29-Dec. 5 at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. For information, call Susan Woodard at 934-7156, Ext.3.
Call for artists
Clayton Visual Arts, Inc., needs artists to feature for the 2013 monthly exhibition season at The Clayton Center. Artists should mail their resume, a portfolio of 4-6 images and the $10 application fee to Clayton Visual Arts, Exhibits Committee, P.O. Box 698, Clayton, NC 27528; email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or complete the online entry form at claytonvisualartsnc.org/artist-invitation. The deadline is 5 p.m. Oct. 31. For details visit claytonvisualartsnc.org.
• Johnston County Public Health Department has walk-in adult flu vaccine clinics 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For information, call 919-989-5200.
• Carl Williams, North Carolina’s public health state veterinarian, will conduct a rabies in-service at Johnston County Public Health Department. The date will be announced. Call 919-989-5200.
• Medicare open enrollment dates are Oct. 18 at the Clayton Center and Oct. 25 at the Clayton Library. Call 919-989-5380.
• J.C. Cooperative Extension, 2736 N.C. 210, Smithfield, is the coordinating site for the Johnston County Senior Health Insurance Information Program and is offering Medicare 101 workshops at 6 p.m. monthly on the second Tuesday. Call 919-989-5380 to reserve a seat or visit johnston.ces.ncsu.edu.
• Triangle Orthopaedics will conduct physicals for athletes in schools/organizations 6-8 p.m. Oct. 10 at 2076 N.C. 42 W., Clayton. Download forms at triangleortho.com/sports-medicine-physicals. Call 919-281-1972 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Johnston Health has a number of preventive health clinics and workshops scheduled in October. The annual prostate screening is 1-5 p.m. Oct. 17 in the Mohamed & Lippitt Urology Center. For appointments call 888-977-3319. A women’s health event is 5:30-8 p.m. on Oct. 18 at Johnston Medical Center-Clayton and the Johnston Professional Plaza. For details go to johnstonhealth.org.
• Johnston Health’s Fall Festival is 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 19 in the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Vendors will sell crafts, jewelry and baked goods.
• Active Healthcare is hosting a free sleep learning event 5:30-7 p.m. Oct.25 at the Clayton Center, 111 E. Second St. To RSVP call 919-870-8600 ext. 250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program, serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5 years old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.
The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is accepting applications for pre-kindergarten. Call 919-202-0002 or visit pfcjc.org.