• Elizabeth United Methodist Church, 4269 Cleveland Road, Smithfield, will have a pig picking and chicken barbecue Sept. 21. Plates are $8 and are on sale from 11a.m.-7p.m. Eat in or take out; delivery can be arranged for large orders. For tickets, call Jack Smith at 919-300-3078. For questions, call John Buckley, 919-270-8579.
• Powhatan Original Free Will Baptist Church at 3468 Powhatan Road, Clayton, is selling barbecue chicken plates from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sept. 28. Plates are $7 for eat-in or carry-out. Call 919-553-2228 or visit powhatanchurch.com.
• Christ Community United Methodist Church will host a Pine Wood Derby Nov. 3. Racing divisions include standard BSA cars, modified BSA cars and washer wheel cars. Testing is 10:30 a.m.-noon, and the race starts at 1 p.m. Contact Chris Cipriani, 919-810-8901 or email@example.com.
• The Fall Festival and Arts and Crafts Show at New Bethel Baptist Church, 2110 Benson Road, Garner, is 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 10. Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Members of Oakland Presbyterian Church are having a Crafts Bazaar 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 17. Call the church office at 919-934-5476 for a vendor packet.
• “A Day of Family Fun,” the International Food Festival at St. Ann Catholic Church, is 1:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Sept. 29 at 4057 U.S. 70 Business West, Clayton. Visit internationalfoodfestival.net for details.
• Homecoming at Baptist Tabernacle Church, 1599 N.C. Highway 231, 919-365-5558, is Oct. 7. Service begins at 11a.m. and the Rev. Nathan Redinger will deliver the message. Covered dish lunch to follow.
• The gospel trio Mercy’s Cross is appearing in concert at Bethesda Baptist Church, 4967 U.S. 70 Business West at 7 p.m. Oct. 12. A love donation is welcomed. Call 919-553-4578 or 919-359-2524.
• Fellowship Baptist Church, 911 W. Main St., Clayton has several special services planned in October. Events include an Old Fashion Day with lunch as well as guest speakers for services Oct. 21 and 28. For details, call 919-553-6774 or visit fellowshipbaptist.com.
• Homecoming service at Bethesda Baptist Church, 4967 U.S. 70 Business West is 10:30 a.m. Oct. 23 followed by lunch.
• Greater Heights United Methodist Church, 111 E. Second St., Clayton, offers a financial planning course at 9:15 a.m. Sundays through Nov. 4. Call Jay Hall at 919-359-0504 to register.
• Hocutt Memorial Baptist Church at 215 S. Robertson St., Clayton, is offering a nine-week financial-planning course at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays until Nov. 7. Call Mark McClanahan at 919-553-6650 to register.
• Southside Church at 2028 Orton Road, Clayton, is offering a nine-week financial-planning course 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 19-Nov. 14. Call Kent Woodard at 919-553-7003 to register.
• Community Bible study at The Discovery Church, 195 N.C. 42 East, Clayton, is 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Call 919-553-7256 or 919-523-4344.
• Sisters Sharing the Savior are studying the books of Ruth, Esther and Proverbs from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays through April at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. Call 919-697-1214.
• The Discovery Church at 195 N.C. 42 East, Clayton, has a new Bible study group that meets from 7-8:30 a.m. Wednesdays. Call 919-553-7256 or 919-523-4344.
Grief support group
• Shiloh Baptist Church offers a 13-week grief support group for anyone suffering from the death of a loved one. This group meets Wednesdays 6:30-8 p.m. until Oct. 27 at 3414 N. Shiloh Road, Garner. Call 919-553-3319, Ext. 202. or visit shilohgarner.org.
• The Child Development Center at First Baptist Church is enrolling children 4 years old and younger. Call Jo Scott at 919-550-4018.
• Baptist Center Church preschool is enrolling children ages 2-4. Call Sherri Anderson at 919-553-3119.
• Mount Moriah preschool is enrolling children for the upcoming school year. Visit mountmoriahpreschool.net or call 919-772-1273, ext. 8.
• First Presbyterian Church preschool in Smithfield is enrolling children ages 2-4. Call 919-208-5106 or 919-934-0988.
• The preschool at Clayton Crossings is accepting applications for the fall and spring terms. Call 919-272-3600.