• American Legion Leonard Moore Post 71 is selling barbecue chicken plates 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sept. 7 at 1300 Old U. S. 70 W. in Clayton. Proceeds support the Legion’s youth programs. Buy $7 tickets from any Legion member and eat in or take out.
• Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library’s fall book sale is Sept. 8-11. Sept. 8 hours are 8 a.m-2 p.m.; Sept. 10 and 11 hours are 4-8 p.m. The sale is at 100 S. Church St. in downtown Clayton. The library staff is also accepting donated books.
• The Sue Daniels Memorial Run-Walk for Backpack Buddies begins at 9 a.m. Oct. 13 at Wilson’s Mills Town Hall, 101 Railroad St. Register online at runtheeast.com.
• The Rotary clubs of Clayton will hold their annual wine-tasting fundraiser at 7 p.m. Oct. 13 at The Clayton Center, 111 E. Second St. Proceeds support the clubs’ scholarship funds.
Colin Hay performance
Tickets are on sale for Colin Hay’s performance at 8 p.m. Sept. 7 at The Clayton Center. Tickets are $25 for reserved seats. Buy tickets online at theclaytoncenter.com, call 919-553-1737 or stop by the Clayton Center box office, 111 E. Second St.
Clayton Hope Church is giving away items including clothing and other donated items along with free refreshment. Sept. 8, 7-11 a m. in the parking area of Amelia Church, 1696 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. Everyone is welcomed. Call Barbara Rice, 919-553-5482.
Call for artists
• The Johnston County Arts Council is accepting grant applications until Sept. 4. Visit jcartscouncil.org for details.
• 2012 Clayton Town Square Concert Series concert dates, except Sept. 13, are the third Thursday of the month, 7-9 p.m. on the Town Square, 100 W. Main St.
• The Red Clay Ramblers will perform at the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium 7 p.m. Sept. 8. Tickets are $21 online, johnstoncc.edu/performingarts, $21 by telephone, 919-209-2099 or $22.50 at the door.
Market is open
The Clayton Farm & Community Market is open 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays on the Town Square at Main and O’Neill streets.
Local events, classes
• Members of the Clayton High School Alumni Association along with classmates and former faculty members are getting together at Jones Lunch, 415 E. Main, Clayton, 5-7 p.m. Sept. 6. Call Dennis Johnson at 919-803-1480.
• Johnston Community College offers free business seminars and counseling at the Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive in Clayton. Contact Shelley Gardner, 919-209-2591, email@example.com. The school also offers continuing education courses; call Vic McCormick 919-209-2595. Students can also find information and register online at johnstoncc.edu/sbcregistration.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation After-School program for kids grades K-5 operates Monday-Friday from school dismissal to 6 p.m. Call Wanda Tetterton at 919-553-1550 for information.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation Department is having a NFL Pepsi punt, pass and kick competition Sept. 8 for kids 6-14-years-old. Call 919-553-1550.
• After school art classes begin Sept.18 for kids 5-7-years-old, Sept. 19 for kids 8 to 10-years-old and Sept. 20 for kids 11 through 13-years-old. These six week classes are 4:30-6 p.m. at the Clayton Community Center. Call 919-553-1550.
• The Clayton Parks and Recreation Department is offering “Beginning Wheel,” an eight-week pottery class. Class sessions are 10 a.m.-1 p.m. or 6-8:45 p.m. Wednesdays until Sept. 26. The cost is $85 for Clayton residents or $100 for nonresidents. Call 919-553-1550.
For a complete list of Clayton Parks and Recreation Department events, activities and classes call Wanda Tetterton, 919-553-1550 of visit townofclaytonnc.org/residents/Recreation.
• The Democratic Women of Johnston County will meet at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 20 in the fellowship hall at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield. For information call the headquarters office, 919-550-4186.
• The Clayton High School Class of 1987’s class reunion is 6-10 p.m. Oct. 13 at Venero’s Italian Restaurant. Cost is $35 person, check payable to Clayton High Class of 87 Reunion. Mail to CHS Class of 87 Reunion, 5842 N. C. Highway 42 W., Garner, NC 27529. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Johnston County Public Health Department is offering a parenting class for parents of children 5 and younger. Sessions are 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 17 and 24. To register, call Tierra Taylor at 919-989-5200.
• The Clayton Area Toastmasters meet 6-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Johnston County Workforce Development Center, 135 Bentwood Drive. This is an international group dedicated to helping people improve their communications and leadership skills. Call Anthony Allen at 919-585-2098 or visit claytontm.com.
• The Widowed Persons Organization of Clayton meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Center in Clayton. Call 919-616-5131 or 919-772-7086.
• Parents-as-Teachers, a free parent-support program serves Johnston County families with children from birth to 5-years-old. For information, call Tammy Evans, 919-989-5200.
Register for preschool
The Partnership for Children of Johnston County is accepting applications for its pre-kindergarten program. Call 919-202-0002 or visit pfcjc.org.